Sew along: Kindred Red: knitted cardigan into a blanket

 


The idea
When I saw the Crux cardigan I wished I had more patience to sew. I really love her idea though so I thought I could buy this knitted cotton fabric I had used before. In my knitting stash I had some rainbow colored yarn. I thought I would turn this into a blanket. For the backside I want to use this beautiful stretch waffle cotton. 

The pattern
Crux is a boxy, cropped, and gender-inclusive open cardigan, and uses contrasting yarn in horizontal and vertical floats to form the hand stitching motif all over. The cardigan is worked flat in pieces from the bottom up, and has German short row shaping at the shoulders. After seaming, drop shoulder sleeves are picked up from the selvedge and knitted in the round without shaping for a loose, relaxed fit. The sleeve ends in a box-pleated cuff to cinch in at the wrist before being finished with marled i-cord. The cardigan’s body is also edged with marled i-cord, meant to mimic quilt binding. The many yarn ends are French braided together on the wrong side.

Additional info:

 
The fabric
  • ca 1,5 meter fabric, big knit from rijstextiles.com
  • ca 1,5 meter fabric, wafle cotton jersey from Snoozy bought at goedkopestoffen
  • 2 skeins of rainbow ombre yarn 
Cutting the fabric.
Not a lot of cutting since both fabric are square pieces of fabric. I did embroider the knit fabric. 
 

 
Other posts

 

Comments

Popular Posts