FREE: Pattern Review: MoodFabrics: Sollya romper

 


Comfy, gorgeous and flowy. A bit to big, but will change this in a next version

The pattern
You can't go wrong with a romper. This summer equivalent to a jumpsuit is an entire outfit in one easy to choose garment! Our Sollya Romper features a fitted waist, slightley puffed sleeves and pleated shorts for the perfect fit. 

Additional info:
  • 4/6-28/30 (US) (a total of 8 sizes) I'll make a 24/26 but later changed waist to a 20/22
  • Recommended fabrics: linens, sateens
  • not rated
  • Download for FREE from their site: Moodfabrics.com
The fabric
  • ca 2,5 meter grey double gauze

The top is a size too big. It shows in the back where the opening stands out too much.
 
Instructions
Well it is a free pattern, so I don't want to nitpick, but they are not really good. I miss the instructions that tell what number to cut all the pieces for the lining. Instructions show a lining for the waistband and eventually you find out you need to cut a lining for the bodice as well. Instructions don't really show how to sew the lining so a bit of insight is requested. Also I would like to see a pattern lay-out since I think 3 yards is a bit of a stretch. I used just under 3 yards, but omitted the lining for the bodice and the waistband. Those are some large pieces.
Also, seam allowance is not mentioned in the instructions, but in the comments below.

Fit:
I started with a 24/26 as my waist size was a bit over size 22, but I found there is a lot of ease in the waist. Sewing the waist-band it was way to big. I resized to a 20/22 waist and I think in a stiff cotton this would be more size apropriate. I needed to take some more fabric in since the gauze stretched out a lot.
Note: the waistband needs to be pretty fitting or the whole garment will sag.
The top is 24/26 gathered a bit more to fit the waistband and for me it is still a bit big. You can definitely see that in the back.
The bottom is 24/26 and lovely wide and comfortable.
It is very easy to make a bigger sized bottom fit the waistband as you can just make the pleats a bit larger. I didn't bast the pleats but pinned the seams and the notches and the remaining fabric was left for pleats.

Conclusion
All in all, it's free. But really make a muslin for fitting, instructions and yardage purposes. I will make it in an African Wax and hopefully I practiced enough to make it work.

Other posts

Comments

Popular Posts