Sew along: no pattern: circle skirt


The idea

I had two African wax fabrics that I wanted to make into a skirt. After cutting into the darker blue wax I saw that it would be to short, so I added a gathered layer under it.

The pattern
No design, Cut it itself. The dark blue wax is a circle skirt, the light blue is a gathered rectangular.

Additional info:
  • take own size
  • Recommended fabrics: scraps
  • Not rated,
  • No pattern
The fabric
  • ca 0,1 meter light blue african wax
  • ca 0,5 meter dark blue african wax
  • ca 0,4 meter light blue quilting cotton.

Cutting the fabric.

The size of the scraps determined how I cut is. The dark blue wax was about 4 times longer then wide, perfect to fold and make four quarters for a full quarter skirt. The light blue cotton was as long, but much smaller, perfect for a gathered layer.

I cut the full circle skirt in two halves. Since I intend to make it with an elastic waistband I cut the waist opening royaly.

Made the waistband from a smaller piece of African wax. Fold in halve, iron inside seam allowance in.

Sew to skirt, topstitch inside of the waistband. Added elastic and sew in place.

Skirt was a bit short, so I added a lightblue cotton. As it was a long but narrow piece of fabric I gathered it.

So the darkblue is a circle skirt making the print sideways on the sides. You can see that in the black lines where they are horizontal on the sides and vertical in the front.

The gathered layer makes it very full.

I love this skirt. It is uncomplicated and fun. Perfect for playing outside in the summer.

 
Other posts
 
Scraps from:

  

Comments

Popular Posts