Pattern review: Violet Field threads Valentina coat - kids coat.

I love to sew for my daughter. Last winter I was making so many dresses for this summer I knew I had to stop. The last project I made was a coat. It was justified by saying it was a coat for spring (since she already had a coat for the winter) and was a practice coat for next winter.

I thought I would share this beautiful coat with you.

The pattern
  • The Valentina is a stunning dress coat that features a dramatic high-low hem in two lengths, short and long. Valentina features a cozy and fashionable funnel collar and optional waist sash.

    Valentina is fully lined, making it beautiful inside and out. It can be made out of warm wool, velvets or a lighter weight fabric for different climates.
Additional info:
  • 2-10years.
  • There is also a tween version with sizes 10 to 16 years.
  • Recommended Fabrics : Wool, velvet or lighter weight fabric
  • no difficulty given, but instructions are very clear, all steps are shown with pictures.
  • pdf download
Violet Field Threads is an online shop for patterns for babies, tweens, kids, adults and dolls. They have amazing patterns and their instructions are Elaborated, like 120+ pages elaborated. It is great to start your first sewing project or make a more difficult garment for the first time. I had never made a fully lined coat and the instructions just take you by both hands. The site also offers some free patterns so please take a look.


The fabric
  • Wool, polyester and recycled wool combination. It has a great shine to it and lights up in the sun. Weight is 380 g/m² (11.2 oz.yd2). It costs €8,00 per meter and is through Budgetstoffen.nl. Site is in Dutch and German.
  • Cotton fabric for lining. I have used cottons for lining before, but it is not ideal. I love the idea of a fancy inside, but cottons are not comfortable enough for lining. It 'sticks' to much where as lining is smoother.

Pattern instructions
The pattern comes in a digital booklet including many pictures to show each step. Instructions are very good, but pictures show a white coat with white lining, so it is not always clear what the right and wrong sides are. Read well. Make sure to print on a good printer in color or view on a computer.

The notions mention fusible interfacing for bodice facings. The instructions do not mention this nor do the pictures show interfacing. So do this before sewing if you feel your fabric might benefit from this. I did not use interfacing since (1) I don't think it was necessary and (2) I only saw this after sewing (so I still did not read the instructions that well, I guess).



Fit or sizing
I made a size 3 for my then 20mo. This is the long skirt version. It fits perfectly. I normally make size 3 dresses as there is some room to grow, as is with this coat. But, for a coat, I expected a little bit more ease so it can be worn over thicker clothing. For a winter coat I advise to size up a bit.
The sizing for the coat is the same as for the dresses.

Pattern alterations
I topstiched every seam I could since the fabric did not want to be ironed. The instructions ask for some topstiching but not to the extend I did. I loved it. Did not topstich the seams in the bodice (since I couldn't topstich the sleeves) so some lines are missing. Perhaps in a future project I will topstich the bodice up to the sleeves.
N.B. I use this fabric for my Vogue 1669 coat and it does iron, but needs steam to do so. I use a damp cloth, but you could also use a steam iron. Try this on a scrap piece before using this on your garment. Not all fabrics like this treatment. Topstiching adds a lot of charm to a garment as well, so it is a very good option.

Sew a little loop made of bias tape in the collar so the coat could be hung up without a hanger.

Conclusion
I love love love the coat. Will make it coming winter. And I think of the same royal blue as my Mom in law's blue Vogue 1669 coat. I love the color and it brings out the blue of my daughters eyes. And my MIL can show off her granddaughter in the same color coat as her.

What do you think
What is your favorite Violet Field Thread pattern. I have many patterns of them.
Other posts:
 

Comments

Popular Posts