Sew along; Mccalls 7989 / mccalls 7938 ; yaya han coat

 


The idea
Man I love to make coats. I saw this pattern and I had to make it. The pattern in regular sizes is M7938; but it also comes in plus sizes (M7989).

The pattern
Fitted and flared, interfaced, lined coats have lapel variations, shoulder pads, pockets, and two-piece sleeves. A: Cuffs on Sleeves B: Back ruffle with lacing.

Additional info:
  • 18W-34W and three cup sizes (US plus sizes) For M7898; I make a 22 W and a cupsize DD
  • 6-22 (US), For M7938 
  • Recommended fabrics: wool; twill; brocade
  • rated 3/4
The fabric
  • ca 3,8 meter cotton twill
  • ca 1,2 meter brocade (poly) for contrast 
  • ca 2 meter brocade (poly) for lining
Cutting the fabric.

I'll make the front of version A, with the back of version B. I'll leave out the lacing. There is an option for three different cupsizing that is being done by three different side front pieces, so choose one of three. There are different marks on the front pattern piece where these pieces should go. Sometimes these cupsizes are given as C/D; DD or DDD and other times these cupsizes are names A;B and C. I think these are the cupsizes for the regular sizing coat (M7938). It might be a bit confusing. 

I layered the contrasting brocade with the cotton twill as it was much thinner than the twill and I was afraid it might look off. 

Comments

Popular Posts