Sew along: Gerties Ultimate dress book: cherry corduroy dress

 


The idea

I want to make my sis a vintage style dress as I think whe will look amazing in it. So this is my first version I will make for me. 

The pattern
Book with two parts. Part one is an elaborate introduction to sewing. Part two contains the wardrobe. 
Patterns are ment to combine at own insight. 23 dresses are given as an example. As I was left with some questions to what parts here is my method for numbering different parts

1. Bodices.                                                      
1.1    Basic bodice                                                
1.2    Strapless bodice                                    
1.3    Strapless sweetheart nodice                    
1.4    Surpice bodice (plus a midriff)                
1.5    Boat neck bodice                                    
1.6    V-neck bodice                                    
1.7    Princess seam Bodice       

2. Skirts
2.1    A-line skirt
2.2    Box pleat skirt
2.3    Pencil skirt
2.4    Side pleat skirt
2.5    3/4 circle skirt
2.6    All around pleated skirt

3. Sleeves
3.1    Long sleeve
3.2    3/4 sleeve
3.3    Short sleeve
3.4    Cap sleeve
3.5    Puff sleeve

4.    Additions
4.1    Shirt collar (for 1.1 Basic bodice
4.2    Peter Pan collar (for 1.1 Basic bodice)
4.3    Peplum skirt (ment for 2.3 Pencil skirt)
4.4    Cuffs (for 3.3 short sleeves)
4.5    Pockets (for any skirt)

The cherry corduroy dress is:    
1.7    Princess seam Bodice       
2.6    All around pleated skirt
3.2    3/4 sleeve    à I changed this to   3.4    Cap sleeve       
4.5    Pockets (for any skirt)
          
Additional info:
  • 2-16 (US) but is different to big 4 sizing. My big 4 size 22 should be a size 16. 
  • Recommended fabrics: cottons, linens, corduroy
  • not rated
  • Gerties Ultimate dress book
The fabric
  • 2 meter blue cotton
  • ca 0,1 meter scraps
Cutting the fabric.

I thought I had 2,5 meters, but was 2 meters. I cut the skirt a bit shorter and the sleeves and pockets from quilting cottons.  

All around pleats, press well and make sure they are running the same direction. 

Pockets are life.

Princess seams are French seamed. This gives a bit more structure to the dress. 

Pleat perfection
Zipper and facings.

Not perfect

Cheap invisible zipper is not invisible

Cap sleeve is cute. 

Other posts
 


 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts