Sew along: Circle skirt: fashion meets math: African Wax skirts



The idea

This awesome african wax had been in my stash for a while and was always ment for a circle skirt. I thought to make a full length maxi skirt at first, but it might be a bit much, so an 'over the knee' length it is. I had enough fabric left to make a skirt for my girl.

The pattern
A circle skirt. 

Additional info:
  • size to measure
  • Recommended fabrics: cottons. As it will be a pretty heavy skirt it is not very suitable for knits since these will stretch. 
  • sewing is easy, cutting the circle requires some math
  • I did the math for an adult version here: and a kids version here.
The fabric
  • ca 3,1 meter African wax for my skirt
  • ca 0,5 meter African wax for my girls skirt (so a total of ca 4 yards)
  • some elastic waist band. 
Cutting the fabric.
I did the math and plenty examples in the previous posts, so here is the math for this specific fabric.

Adult: A waist opening radius of 19 cm is a circumference of 120 cm. I take out 6 cm for seams and that leaves 114 cm. I will add elastic to a part in the back to make up the remaining waist measurements.
I added 1 cm seam allowance for the waistband, skirtlength is 72 and hem is 3 cm, which might be a bit long. I want to test the skirt to see how this fabric falls. Perhaps I make it a bit shorter.

Kids: The remaining piece is 50 cm. I fold it selvedge to selvedge this time. Waist opening radius is 10 cm and means an circumference of 63 cm, enough to fit over the hip. Again I need 1 cm for seam allowance to add a waistband, hem is 3 cm and that leaves a skirt length of 24 cm. (total 38 radius).
I am not sure if the kids version is long enough. I think I will add a layer. 

Adult version
Kids version

 I also cut pockets and waistbands from the scrap parts. 
 
In yellow chalk, a radius of one circle. The vertical stripe is half-width fabric.

That crossing is my starting point for the second circle.

Tiny circle skirt

Big circle skirt

Add pockets.

Add elastic to a part in the back (since I dont want elastic all around)

Hem

Pockets

Back seam

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts