Pattern review: Burda 10-2018: coat 128

 

 My man's coat and it looks stunning. I loved this pattern when I first saw it. When I suggested it to my guy he was very enthusiastic, which made me even more enthusiastic. He didn't want it to be made from wool as he doesn't quickly wear warm coats (he runs very warm by himself) and if it is freezing, he already has a favorite bearskin. So he wanted it to be made from a lighter fabric. I did some research in our local fabric supplier and did a couple of suggestions. He picked this one from the line-up. 

The pattern

The classic Caban jacket is right back on-trend and is a must for every wardrobe. This style is a custom craftsmanship masterpiece. Sew it in a modern evergreen colour, for a choice that can be worn fashionably for the office and for leisure.

Additional info:
  • EU 48-56 (mens)
  • Recommended Fabrics : wool
  • Featured in Burda 10/2018 and pdf download.
  • Rated 4/4
 
The fabric
  • Stretch cotton twill (type of weave with a pattern of diagonal parallel ribs) of Jansikkes.nl
  • Dark grey llining of budgetstoffen.nl

 

Pattern instructions
Burda's instructions are quite difficult. It is a long read and some important instructions are quickly missed. Usually I use the numbered corners, notches and seams to figure out what goes where. For the pockets I did need a bit more instruction and had to read it a couple of times.

 
Fit
I made a 56 as per sizing chart. There is enough wearing ease for thicker sweaters and such. Since I made it from a lighter fabric and it is planned for a fall coat, it might have fitted better in a size smaller.
 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like, Burda doesn't add men's patterns in all their magazine, so a men's pattern is a bit of a bonus. The coat is a piece of art though, so I had to make it. I it 'basic' enough for my DH who doesn't like to many frilly stuff, but has enough details to make for an interesting sew.
Dislike: the pocket construction is pretty fragile. You cut the opening in the front and the two long sides are finished by the pocket pieces. The beginning and end of the opening is not finished and therefore prone to tear. Instructions don't call for strengthening these pieces. I tacked the flap to the coat so there is no pulling on this part of the pocket.

Other posts:
 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts