Sewing challenge: By Poppy #10: P1804 sunflower dress.


The challenge

Pattern review.com holds monthly contests. One of the 2019 contests was to re create a designer garment for as little money as possible. I choose Dolce and Gabbana's sunflower dress. It costs more than 500 euro. 



The pattern
P1804 is a high wasted basic dress with ruffles on the sleeves. It has a button closure in the back.

Additional info:
  • EU 92-152 (2y-10y)
  • Recommended fabrics: cotton, satin
  • Rated 3/6
  • envelope pattern with multiple sizes

The fabric
  • Light weight cotton. It is rather see through.
  • Crepe satin lining for bodice only
In total I think I spend less than 15 euro.


Alterations
I had to do many alterations to make the dress look like it's more expensive counterpart.

  • I narrowed the shoulders as I thought the sleeves hung a bit to low on the shoulders.
  • Omitted the facings and uses a (crepe satin) lining instead. It really gives the dress more glamour as the colors become more vibrant, the fabric wrinkles less and it forms better to the body.
  • Added a Peter-Pan collar.
  • Added a faux button closure at the front (just a stripe of fabric topstitched to the front)
  • Omitted the ruffles at the sleeves.
  • Used a zipper in stead of a button closure at the back.

 
Fit
It fits like a glove. US kids patterns run smaller than the EU kids patterns. This is a size 92 (2yo) which still fits at 2 years old. I normally make a size 3yo (98) in American patterns.



Conclusion
It is such a basic pattern and I left even more details of. In the right fabric or print you don't need an elaborate pattern though. It is my favorite dress for her this summer.

What do you think?
Does it look like it's expensive twin?

Other posts

Comments

Popular Posts