Pattern review: Burdastyle 05/2018 117 volante dress

The pattern
Yes, the front view details of this breezy dress with its fluttering flounce sleeves that playfully cover the upper arms and its empire waistline are simply charming.
Additional info:
  • 36-44. (US 6-14) I used size 44, sized up two sizes (according to size chart) and muslin was still a bit snug. Not sure if I did not size up enough or pattern is a bit snug.
  • Recommended fabrics: Lightweight, softly draping dress fabrics.
  • Rated 3/5
  • magazine May 2018 or pdf download.

The fabric
  • Linen with beautiful print that was sold out quickly
Pattern instructions
Uhm, instructions in magazines are notoriously difficult. I made the pattern much easier by skipping lining, flounces and ties in back and was able to sew at my own insight.
There are not many pattern pieces and all are pretty self-explanatory.


Pattern alterations
I omitted the lining, flounces and ties in the back and the facings. I cut the front skirt in two parts to save fabric. Sized up.
Because I skipped the ties in the back I sew a anti-slip elastic band on the shoulders to keep the sleeves from falling off.


Conclusion
Love the flowy breezy style of the dress. 


What do you think
Do you think it looks better with or without the flounces.

Comments

Popular Posts