Creating a sloper - cheating method.



A sloper is a pattern of the mold of the body. They don’t have any design details and no seam allowances. It it used to make a perfect fit in your garments. Most of us are not exactly one size in a specific pattern. Even if you have been sewing for a short time, you quickly find out you might be a size 14 bust, 16 waist, 18 hip for example.
If these alterations in these three sizes make for a good fit for you, good for you. But there are many more alterations some of us need to do, like high/low waist line, full bust, rounded shoulders, sloped shoulders and so on. To get the best fit you might want to think about creating a sloper.

Once you get a perfect fit in your sloper, you’ll get a perfect fit in any of your other patterns.
Creating a sloper looks very daunting to me. It is basically measuring a huge deal on you body and drawing these correctly on paper. Now I really don't want to do all that work so I tried a different method.

Above is the lining part of a dress I made and it fitted perfectly. It had princesseams and looks like above. On the left is the side front part, on the right is the middle front part (cut out on the fold). Where the parts meat is the widest part of your bust, so your bustline.


If I turn the part so there is only a dart in the bottom
Here I drew the dress onto the parts. The lining was for a strapless dress so the drawing will go beyond this pattern. The red line will be a seam  with a pipingband sewn in it. The black line will be the top of the dress.
I draw both lines to the backpart.

Next I trace the copied and sketched patterns over and I connect the lines on the shoulder. I redraw them because I want to have the highest part over the bustline.

For the muslin/lining I cut out the pieces A an B together. In the outer fabric I cut them separately so I can add piping.
The front fits really well.

In the back I added 1,5 inch. It wrinkles a lot because I have added seam allowances that will 'disappear' when I will sew the topfabric. The back will be lifted a bit also by the straps. All of this makes me believe the back will wrinkle less. When wearing.

Under arms also a tight fit, but there is 1,5 cm extra fabric for a seam allowance.

Comments

Popular Posts